Careers in the Interior Design Industry | Design a Path to Success!
If you love furniture, art and all of the things that turn a house into a beautiful home, you might be interested in learning how to become an interior designer. Fortunately, there are plenty of different interior design careers that you can look into, and you might just find that a career as a designer is just what you need to achieve your financial and career-related goals.
How the Interior Design Industry Has Changed
In the last 25 years or so, the interior design industry has changed significantly. However, not all of these changes have been bad.
Designers now use computer software and more to make their jobs easier and more effective, and styles have changed significantly over the years. Although the industry might have faltered a bit during the recession, it has now come back in almost full force. During this time period, however, designers have learned how to achieve gorgeous looks without spending a lot of money. They have also learned how to use eco-friendly materials to make the homes that they design and decorate more eco-friendly. Therefore, today’s interior designer should be savvy, eco-friendly, financially-conscious and should have a good eye.
The Best Interior Design Opportunities
- Open Your Own Design Business – A surprising number of interior designers start their own businesses and do freelance-type work. This is a great way to work for yourself and to expand your opportunities.
- Work for a Design Company – Many design companies hire multiple designers to help with their client base.
- Commercial Design – By working as a commercial designer, you can design the interiors of offices and other types of businesses.
- Set Designer – Someone has to design the sets for movies and television shows, so why not you?
- Closet and Storage Design – If you are good at organization and design, you can design storage spaces, closets and more so that they look great and are fully functional.
- Magazine Design – Many magazines hire designers to help them put together their spreads about household decorating and more.
How to Become an Interior Decorator
If you are interested in interior design careers, you will probably want to educate yourself in the industry. Although you don’t have to go to school to snag many jobs as a designer, you will need to have a good eye and a strong knowledge for modern decor, furnishings and construction-related products.
In many cases, it is a good idea to go to school to learn more about the design world. Not only will your completion of a related degree or program look good on your resume, but it can also teach you a lot about design and the industry itself. There are four-year degree options for interior designers, or you can take a certificate program if you prefer. You can also enroll in continuing education programs to learn more about interior design or to stay up-to-date on changes to the industry.